Sunday, March 2, 2014

Everything is New in 2014!

Can you learn new things even after twenty-five years of teaching?  You bet'cha!  In fact...the new things I have learned so far in the year 2014 are pretty darn exciting!  

January 2014:  Started writing my first blog...okay, technically I started it on December 31st, 2013, but come on, close enough, right?  I was inspired by so many people on twitter who write their own blogs, so why not me?  Here I am on my fourth post and I am really enjoying the "experience."  I find myself looking forward to reading other people's blogs and seeing what they have to say.  I also like how "adult blogging" leads by example for our young learners.

  
February 2014:  I went to my first #ICE14 conference in St. Charles, Illinois. What an experience!  I got to meet my idol Dave Burgess, author of Teach Like a Pirate.  I also go to meet people in my PLN face-to-face.  This would have never happened had I not joined twitter in October of 2013.  I also learned a ton of stuff that I can take back to my class, one of my favorites being the work of Mr. Greg Tang.  He was an awesome presenter and had some great math work to share.  You can check him out at: www.gregtangmath.com.


May 2014:  I just signed up to attend my very first edcamp in Milwaukee.  I've only heard about how awesome these ed-camps are so now I am excited to live it!
  

So, there you have it.  Learning in 2014 has already proven to be a great thing!  This has been one of my best years ever professionally and it has really re-energized my passion for teaching.  What new thing will you try in 2014?



No comments:

Post a Comment